Freddie = Ronnie
Is Fred Thompson the long-prophesied Second Coming of Reagan? Let's examining the shocking similarities (and ignore for the moment the shocking ineptitude of the Thompson Campaign):
- Actor of minimal talent? Check!
- Fake populist rhetoric? Check!
- Intellectual laziness? Check!
- "Tough guy" image completely unanchored in reality? Check!
- Severe allergic reaction to the truth? Check!
- Vapid, jingoistic sloganeering masquerading as patriotism? Check!
- Background as a snitch (Reagan for the FBI, Thompson on the Watergate Cmte)? Check!
There are, of course, differences. As a lawyer, Thompson at least recognizes the laws he supports ignoring. Moreover, with his background as a lobbyist, Thompson presumably has a passing familiarity with the government, both how it works on paper and how it works in reality (i.e., money talks). Also, there are no reports as yet indicating that Thompson takes advice from celebrity pyschics via his trophy wife.
UPDATE: E.J. Dionne, Jr. on Freddie: back to the future.
UPDATE 2: Another view on the same topic from The Right's Field.