The Local Crank

Musings & Sardonic Commentary on Politics, Religion, Culture & Native American Issues. Bringing you the finest in radioactive screeds since 2002! "The Local Crank" newspaper column is distributed by Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleburne, Texas, United States

Just a simple Cherokee trial lawyer, Barkman has been forcing his opinions on others in print since, for reasons that passeth understanding, he was an unsuccessful candidate for state representative in 2002. His philosophy: "If people had wanted me to be nice, they should've voted for me."

Sunday, December 17, 2006

It's the Conquistadores! We're Saved!

I haven't seen Apocalypto and have no intention of doing so. I loved Braveheart, but gave up on Mel Gibson's fetish for bloody torture at The Passion of the Christ, a truly revolting misuse of Scripture that convinced me that Mel is one deserted cabin in the woods away from becoming a serial killer. Apocalypto isn't just hyper-violent and wildly historically and culturally inaccurate, though; it's also a two hour racist apologetic for the genocide of North American Indians. The Indians had it coming, you see, because they were violent (where have I heard this argument before?) and the kindly Christian missionaries "saved" them from themselves. And, lest you yo ne gv think you are getting off easily, it's apparently also a metaphor for how modern civilization is doomed unless it embraces Gibson's crypto-falangist, Twelfth Century Catholic dogma.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

It's a pity, too, because I'd love to see a good movie about the Maya. I guess this isn't it.

12/17/2006 7:57 PM  
Blogger The Local Crank said...

Yeah, pretty much, though I stress I haven't seen it. I only regurgitate what teh interwebs tell me.

12/17/2006 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home