The Local Crank

Musings & Sardonic Commentary on Politics, Religion, Culture & Native American Issues. Bringing you the finest in radioactive screeds since 2002! "The Local Crank" newspaper column is distributed by Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleburne, Texas, United States

Just a simple Cherokee trial lawyer, Barkman has been forcing his opinions on others in print since, for reasons that passeth understanding, he was an unsuccessful candidate for state representative in 2002. His philosophy: "If people had wanted me to be nice, they should've voted for me."

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Dubya vs. Indian Country, the Saga Continues

Not surprisingly, Bush's new hundred trillion gazillion dollar budget includes a $100 million cut for the BIA; obviously because that agency is such a model of bureacratic efficiency that it can make do with less. These cuts would devastate, among others, IHS, Indian colleges, and Indian housing programs and would cut ALL DOJ funds to tribes for law enforcement. Nice to see that this Administration, which has been so virulently anti-Indian, is going out with a calculated slap in the face.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Cartledge said...

Poor bloody George W, I though Abramoff had rendered the tribes penniless, thus averting the need for the Pres to be concerned.
Apart from that I am pleased to have happened upon you and would like to get in touch on indigenous (and wider) issues.
I spent a few years in BC Canada, around the Stó:lō people. Can't say I enjoyed the experience or blame the attitudes, but it was an experience.

2/08/2008 7:55 PM  
Blogger Cartledge said...

I thought Abramoff had fixed the injun problem for George W by relieving them of any cash they had. Can’t trust these bloody thieves.
Beyond that, I was interested to come across you and your interests. I had some experience with the Sto:lo people of BC Canada, and could understand – sort of – the double dealing I had to deal with.
Now, back in Australia I can understand those indigenous issues a little better – I hope. But they are issues that tend to spread through interbreeding here. My focus is not legal, but in how to deal with the anger among youth.
I would like to contact you personally, with your permission. Cartledge – @ - gmail.com Without dashes of course.

2/08/2008 8:14 PM  
Blogger The Local Crank said...

Please feel free to email away.

2/08/2008 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home