The Local Crank

Musings & Sardonic Commentary on Politics, Religion, Culture & Native American Issues. Bringing you the finest in radioactive screeds since 2002! "The Local Crank" newspaper column is distributed by Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleburne, Texas, United States

Just a simple Cherokee trial lawyer, Barkman has been forcing his opinions on others in print since, for reasons that passeth understanding, he was an unsuccessful candidate for state representative in 2002. His philosophy: "If people had wanted me to be nice, they should've voted for me."

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Good Ol' Days

Bull Moose reminisces about the bipartisan welfare reform package passed ten years ago. While I agree with My Right Honorable Colleague about the successes so far, I would note that they have all occurred in the course of a relatively strong economy. My fear for all these people (primarily single mothers with young children) has always been what happens when the economy goes south, as may be happening right now. If things get very bad, very fast, these families with their fragile status just above or below the poverty line will end up "last hired, first fired," and the safety net has been disassembled beneath them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home