The Local Crank

Musings & Sardonic Commentary on Politics, Religion, Culture & Native American Issues. Bringing you the finest in radioactive screeds since 2002! "The Local Crank" newspaper column is distributed by Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleburne, Texas, United States

Just a simple Cherokee trial lawyer, Barkman has been forcing his opinions on others in print since, for reasons that passeth understanding, he was an unsuccessful candidate for state representative in 2002. His philosophy: "If people had wanted me to be nice, they should've voted for me."

Saturday, January 20, 2007

She's In


If you are just reading this here, then congratulations on becoming the official last person in the universe to find out that Hillary Clinton is running for President. Long time readers know that I am not much of a Hillary fan, dating back to her botching of what should have been Bill's first term triumph, health care reform. In fact, she reminds me a little too much of Bill in general, with an added sense of personal self-restraint, but without the wit, warmth and fine sense of political ju jitsu. She, like Bill, believes in political triangulation and not much else, and like Bill is willing to sell out the US economy to highest bidder through "free trade." Her shifting position on the Iraq War looks like exactly what it was: crass political calculus. Yes, as I have said before, I want politicians who are realists, but not ones so realistic they never attempt anything for fear of failure. Hillary has a long way to go to convince me that she's the one.
UPDATE: For the negative view, hilzoy at Obsidian Wings. For the positive (relatively speaking), Kevin Drum at Washington Monthly.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I put a short post about her announcement on my blog as well. Bottom line, Bill Richardson is my early favorite among all the Democratic contenders. I know he doesn't have much of a chance, for a lot of shallow reasons that shouldn't matter, but I like his resume the most. Hillary doesn't bring any experience to the table that I find particularly compelling. About the only thing I could say in her favor is that she at least has more experience than Obama and Edwards, but I would still prefer Obama over her and Richardson above all of them.

1/20/2007 11:19 PM  
Blogger The Local Crank said...

I'm not sure what I think about Obamania at this point. Of course, bear in mind I didn't like Bill Clinton at all initially; I voted for Tom Harkin in the 1992 primaries.

1/20/2007 11:40 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

There's no denying that Obama is a bright, well-spoken, likeable guy. I just think his luster will start to fade a little when the real campaigning starts and his rivals hammer relentlessly at his lack of experience.

1/21/2007 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home