The Local Crank

Musings & Sardonic Commentary on Politics, Religion, Culture & Native American Issues. Bringing you the finest in radioactive screeds since 2002! "The Local Crank" newspaper column is distributed by Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleburne, Texas, United States

Just a simple Cherokee trial lawyer, Barkman has been forcing his opinions on others in print since, for reasons that passeth understanding, he was an unsuccessful candidate for state representative in 2002. His philosophy: "If people had wanted me to be nice, they should've voted for me."

Monday, January 08, 2007

Stupid White Man of the Week: Ed Butcher

This week's coveted SWMW award goes to Montana State Rep. Ed Butcher (R-Winifred) who referred to State Rep. Jonathan Windy Boy, who is also a member of the Chippewa-Cree Tribal Council, as "chief" and asked if his gavel could be used as a "war club." Back in 2002, at a town hall meeting, Butcher described reservations as "ghettos" and opined “They’re [Indians] unwilling or incapable of working like normal outside people do.” But just saying something stupid and offensive doesn't get you a SWMW Award, oh no. People say stupid things all the time, after all. Some of them are even President of the United States. No, this award goes to Butcher for the brilliant defense he gave of his remarks regarding Windy Boy:

Butcher said if he intended to say something disparaging about American Indians, “I would have come up with something (worse) than that.”

Instead of, say, just apologizing and moving on, which is why former candidate and now Congressman Steve Kagen didn't get an award.

Hat Tip (and salute) to Jesus' General.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Dawg said...

Just want to check to see if you will ever be offended if I posted on my site a 'Stupid Red Man of the Week Award'?

I'm sure Native Americans do stupid things too and deserve equal time as well.

1/09/2007 7:56 AM  
Blogger The Local Crank said...

You can feel free to post whatever you want on your site, though "Red Man" is generally considered a racist term, not as bad as r*****n. And even though the post is titled Stupid White Man of the Week, people of any race are eligible (and have in fact won). The only requirement is that they say something stupid and racist.

1/09/2007 1:38 PM  
Blogger Dawg said...

I'm not sure I can figure out what you blanked out....

Nevertheless, I would never consider Red man a racist term just like I would never consider black man, yellow man, etc.

If your SWOTW award is truly cross-cultural, you should rename it to Stupid person of the week. This way you won't be guilty of being bigoted and racist (even if maybe your not trying to be).

1/09/2007 6:03 PM  
Blogger The Local Crank said...

"I'm not sure I can figure out what you blanked out...."

It's the same as the name of a certain professional football team based in Washington, DC and is as offensive as the "n" word.

"Nevertheless, I would never consider Red man a racist term just like I would never consider black man, yellow man, etc."

Well, Red Man is. As for the others, you'd have to ask someone who's African American or Asian.

"If your SWOTW award is truly cross-cultural, you should rename it to Stupid person of the week. This way you won't be guilty of being bigoted and racist (even if maybe your not trying to be)."

I like it just the way it is. And I've never cared what people think about me one way or another.

1/09/2007 8:51 PM  
Blogger Dawg said...

It's interesting how you are careful to say African American or Asian American. Why not say caucasian if you are being sensitive to all the other classifications of people?

If you want people to respect you and your kind, why not start with your own lips?

1/10/2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger The Local Crank said...

I say African American and Asian American because that's what those particular groups generally prefer to be called. Doing so is simply common courtesy. I have yet to meet a white man who asked to be described as "Caucasian." And, after 500 years of absolute legal, political and economic dominance, I'm pretty sure the psyche of most white people will not be shattered by a little teasing from me.

1/10/2007 6:13 PM  
Blogger Dawg said...

I prefer German American for me...........

1/11/2007 6:41 AM  
Blogger Dawg said...

By the way, you did inspire me to blog a stupid award of the week on my blog too.

1/11/2007 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home